Friday, October 22, 2010

Open door

The kids were eating snack when Nikko got out of his chair and urgently started pulling me toward the pantry closet. I got down on one knee and asked, "What do you want, Nikko?"
He quickly said, "Cracker."
Then he looked at the pantry and said, "Open door."
You better believe that I opened the door and was smiling so huge. He ended up pulling at the animal cracker container, reaching in after I opened it and getting four cracker to put on his placemat, but I wondered if he really wanted them because he generally doesn't eat them. I was still marvelling at the Open Door request. He has never asked me to open a door anywhere. I saw Kathy and Nikko working on this skill in a video they took last year. When he said it, it was like music to my ears because it wasn't a food phrase and it didn't have anything to do with the TV or with birthday cakes or a song. It was a simple request that took a long time in coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment