Friday, April 8, 2011

Catching up, and gastro follow-up

Good Lord, I don't know why I'm behind on a few days of posts, but I am. Sorry.

4/5/11 - School report - OT: Some successes today. Tolerated swing for a few minutes with a low arc. Also used "I want" 3 times with verbally cued with visual picture! Also worked on name.
Speech: requesting, greetings, ?'s

4/6/11 - nothing to report

4/7/11 - School report - Speech: Good job naming animals, foods, household items. Tried "What" ?'s.



Early this morning I took Nikko to North Shore University Hospital (aka Glenbrook Hospital) for an x-ray ordered by the gastro. Surprisingly, we didn't have to wait very long at all. A nice man in the waiting room even slipped Nikko a racing car magazine to see if Nikko would be interested in it. I had to point at the pictures but Nikko was able to say Racing Car. When it was our turn, I told the radiologist that Nikko had autism and wasn't good at talking, and would also not be cooperative on the table. She had to hold his legs while I pinned down his torso and arms while yet another radiologist took the x-ray. They got it on the first try, though, and I was relieved.

At the end of the day, the nurse Pam called to tell me that Nikko's x-ray showed a minor blockage that the gastro deemed "normal." She then said that we should try to lower the dosage, maybe by half a tablespoon. I told her I'd lower it and then give it another week to see results. Am I going to do it at 2.5 or even 2 tablespoons? NO. Clearly I have it charted that giving Nikko a higher dosage wasn't reducing the number of times he pooped. I think my results were better at 1.5 tablespoons, quite honestly. When we upped it to two, his smears increased from 3-4 a day to 5-6. So I'm going to try the lesser dosage. I really, REALLY hate how it's taking a long time to deal with these issues. It's a wonder that any potty training can take place at this point, except for maybe a #1. Definitely not for #2s.

No comments:

Post a Comment