Thursday, September 24, 2009

To Costco or not to Costco?

School was good again for Nikko. Looks like they are working on emotions and feelings this week. They had carrots and dressing for snack today and I was told "He licked dressing off the carrots."

Ms. Winters wrote: He's doing a lot of appropriate "no" head shakes - when he didn't want to stand, didn't want carrots..."

That's the truth! He has been doing head shakes at home for maybe a week and a half, I'd say. I don't think I saw it as pronounced as recently. Don't know why. Maybe his awareness of what he wants and doesn't want is emerging. I got to watch the other video of him @ school last night and they included the one where they take him to the potty. They sit him down because there's a kid-sized potty, but I'm at odds because at home we started that, but our potty seat has handles and they seem to get in the way. These boys want to spread those thighs across the board! Now we're standing the boys up to pee directly into the toilet, but maybe they're not drinking enough juice before bedtime. Been dry all week before bathtime!

When Nikko comes home from school, and after lunch, he's taken to lying on the floor near the cube shelves by the picture window in the living room and racing a car across the mat. He likes to take a Ferrari that makes noise and rev it back and forth. When I come down on his level on the floor, he tries to push me out of the way. I don't always give in too easily, and sometimes he's annoyed that I won't move that he'll vocally protest or move away. So many times today I'd look at him and he'd seem like he was tired, but not enough to take a nap. During Ronin's nap I took Nikko and Audrey for a walk with Lego around the block. Audrey was in the bjorn and Nikko was happy to walk next to me. When we rounded the corner near Monica's house, he could see the school playground and he started whimpering when I whisked him along the sidewalk away from the school. But I focused on walking Lego and didn't want Nikko to be absorbed in wanting to go to the school. He held my hand around the block until we got to the straightaway toward our house. Then I let him go and he happily walked ahead of us to the lightpost. Unfortunately he didn't want to go inside and he started yelling and stomping in protest. It was the promise of a cookie that made him relax a bit and follow me inside. Once his shoes were off he ran to his chair so I could make good on my promise, which I did. When 3:30p was rolling around, I lamented because I wanted to go to Costco, but could also see that Nikko was in need of a nap. And Ronin was still sleeping, and Audrey was bound for a nap at least by 4:30 latest. Ronin woke up around 3:45 and I sat everyone in the kitchen, determined to snack them and then go to the store. But Nikko started getting heavy-lidded in the chair. I signed to him Sleep and he shook his head NO. But his eyes were getting heavy and I signed Sleep. He still protested by shaking his head, but I gently stroked his nose and his eyes were giving way. I picked him up and put him on the couch where he settled for an hour nap. No Costco today, that was decided. Then I put Audrey down after snack, and I was left with Ronin to chitchat with.

I am toying with the idea of going on a grocery run while Nikko is at school. It would be easier with just two kids, but we'll see if I have the energy. I went to bed at 1:30 last night and I was SO tired this morning. After Ronin's therapy I was dying for a quick 15 minute nap until it was time to put Audrey down and pick up Nikko. I'll play it by ear. If it doesn't happen, we'll do it in the afternoon right after lunch. We're going to the in-laws for dinner, so any naps can be made on the trip down.

No comments:

Post a Comment