Monday, August 10, 2009

No cookie for Nikko

I don't know if it was a bad thing or a good thing, but today sometime after lunch, Nikko wanted an Oreo cookie. I decided to try holding the cookie to my face, saying "Cookie", and waiting for him to attempt to say it. Sounds easy, just like in the book, but it SO wasn't easy. Nikko saw that I was holding out on the cookie, and probably understood that I wanted him to say it. He shook his head NO violently, as if telling me that I wasn't going to get him to say anything. I was patient and calmly kept modeling "Cookie." Nikko was furious. He tantrumed. He cried, screamed, threw himself into the wall, threw himself onto the floor many times, tried to pry the cookie from my fingers. Mad, angry, frustrated. Audrey sat in her high chair looking on, silent. I think Nikko tantrumed for 10, maybe 15 minutes. It was a looooooong time. In the end he ran into the living room a few times in a fury, ran back to me, then ultimately ran to Denis, grabbed a burp cloth sitting on the sofa, and didn't come back. I think he tired himself out so much that he fell asleep sitting up on the couch. I felt so bad, but during the tantrum I knew that I couldn't give him the cookie now, it was the point of no return and giving in would defeat everything I was doing. So, no cookie for Nikko. :( We didn't revisit this for the rest of the day. I am dreading doing it again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment