Thursday, October 29, 2009

Pretzel

I got a quick note from Ms. Winters the ST/Teacher today:
Nikko approximates Pretzel by putting one forefinger on top of fingernail of other forefinger. He picked it up so quickly - - food is very motivating. :)

It's a good thing she told me this sign because when we got home Nikko was signing for some pretzels. I told him we didn't have any, unfortunately. I think that's an ok snack that I should get for next time. Today his appetite really wasn't good during mealtimes. He didn't have a great breakfast at all so I wonder if he was really hungry during snack time. He was signing for crackers and I didn't want to give him any unless he ate his nuggets, but I did try putting some crackers in my chili and was able to sneak in a few beans to him while he ate it from my bowl. He didn't have any problems during snack time, of course, where he signed Popcorn (for corn puffs). I think he saw the sign Popcorn on the Signing Time DVD, which is why he kept trying to pull me into the kitchen. Denis came home early from work so I had him put Audrey down for a nap and took the boys to Costco with me so they could get out of the house. Ronin had a 1.5 hour nap and woke up so grumpy, but I rushed his snack so we could go to Costco. Nikko didn't nap, and I knew he would fall asleep in the car at some point. The shopping trip was fast, but I still had to give the boys some crackers because Nikko was pulling at the food bag. He fell asleep on the way home and I was able to carry him into the house and lay him on the couch, even though Audrey had woken up and was screaming for me while Denis carried her. At 6pm I said good bye to the crew and went out to dinner with two girlfriends for some much-needed bonding and support. When I came home later, Denis said that Nikko woke up really angry from his nap and wasn't very agreeable for the rest of the evening. He was probably pissed that I wasn't there.

Tomorrow is a big meeting day for us. First, Ronin has speech therapy in the morning (I have to straighten up the living room for sure). After Nikko comes home from school, I'll serve lunch and possibly put Ronin down for a nap. At 2:30 we all have to leave for Nikko's meeting with his teachers and the school autism coordinator. We'll go home, and then come back to school at 6:30pm for the Sign Language night. I just have to stay on top of getting the kids out the door on time because I don't want to be late for anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment