Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Testing sans Oreos

Nikko came home from preschool in a good mood, but once we got inside and got settled before lunch he became really agitated with me. I signed that we should eat and he agreed, but he didn't seem happy with me while I heated up his mac cheese. He was flinging himself to the ground at my feet, and when I stood with his food waiting for him to sit down he flat out refused with a vengance. I had to set his food down and give him deep pressure strokes on his arms, legs and back. It didn't seem to calm him at first, and I don't know if it even helped this time around, but after sitting up between tantrums he regained his composure. I was able to encourage him to sit down and start eating. These tantrums are coming a lot more frequently. The bad thing is that I don't understand what he is trying to tell me when he has them. My success rate in meeting his need is probably 60/40.

Nikko's progress report from school looked ok. I think he has OT on Tuesdays, as Mrs. I wrote the following:

Continuing with heavy work and movement prep activities - wheelbarrel walk, trampoline, big ball work. Then worked at table with buttons, bead strining and dot art. Nikko really enjoys using the dot art markers.

I also got an email back saying the autism coordinator observed Nikko today and was impressed with his progress. She wants to meet on the 29th, the day of the sign language class. I said that would be fine as long as I could take the kids, since Denis is at work. It's fine with them. I'm looking forward to this meeting, it's gonna have a lot of stuff going on!

We went to mom's house this afternoon. Nikko fell asleep in the car and continued to sleep on mom's couch when I brought him inside. He must have been super tired! He woke up later and unfortunately acted as if he didn't like his surroundings. He kept covering his ears again. After mom's house I had to take everyone to Costco for chicken nuggets. We were totally out! This time I didn't take along the Oreos because I didn't want to reward Nikko for crying for them. He looked at the food bag immediately and wanted a cookie (I know I must have taught him that), but I told him I didn't have any at all and there's nothing I could do about it. I even showed him the bag, with juices and crackers. He opted for crackers, but it wasn't ideal for him. We escaped without a full blown meltdown, but he and Ronin were getting cranky because it was dinnertime. I wanted to avoid going to the store during this time, but I had put it off for various reasons over the week. We put the kids to bed later, but for some reason Nikko had opened the door and walked out of the room. I was surprised because I thought I had put the safety knob on his door. I walked him back into bed, noting that Ronin already fell asleep. Nikko seemed wide awake, but he didn't resist me tucking him back in, and didn't come out again. Tomorrow we're supposed to go to the Rec Plex ball pit. I know the boys will have fun, but I am a little worried that Audrey will not be satisfied walking around the perimeter. She's too small to go into the ball pit, sorry. She'd get crushed. We're supposed to meet Jovy there, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment